Programme Officer Agro ecological Farming
SWISSAID India, Pune, Maharashtra
1. POSITION VACANT: Programme Officer Agro ecological Farming, SWISSAID India, Pune, Maharashtra
2. ORGANIZATION BACKGROUND:
One of Switzerland’s leading development organisations, SWISSAID is an international non-profit, working in nine countries across the world. The organization has no religious or political affiliations.
SWISSAID has been active in Indiafor more than five decades. Currently, the focus is on two themes Small Scale Farming and Gender Equality. SWISSAID collaborates with local civil society organisations to co create projects which address the challenges faced by the marginalised groups.
SWISSAID together with Research Institute of Organic Agriculture (FiBL, Switzerland) and Alliance for Food Sovereignty in Africa is going to implement a multi country project financed Swiss Development Cooperation titled CROPS4HD (Consumption of Resilient Orphan Crops & Products for Healthier Diets). The overall goal of the project is to improve food security and nutrition of smallholder farmers, especially women, through sustainable use and conservation of farmers’ varieties, focusing on neglected and underutilized species (NUS), and respecting agro ecological approaches. This is to be achieved through (1) engaging with urban and rural consumers to generate demand for peasant cultivars, neglected species and healthy diets ( 2) encouraging small holder farmers especially women to grow the neglected species and farmers cultivars as a viable business and improve their livelihoods, and (3) leveraging government support.
SWISSAID is looking to recruit a Programme Officer for this project.
3. JOB DESCRIPTION/ RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Senior Program Officer, the Programme Officer Agro ecological Farming, shall beresponsible forpromoting agro ecological production including cultivation of neglected and underutilized species and farmer institution development components of CROPS4HD project which will be implemented in Odisha, West Bengal and Karnataka. S/he shall also be responsible for accompaniment and monitoring projects and partnerships, including facilitating linkages with government programmes, public relations, information dissemination and fundraising. Interfaces with the technical unit of FiBL and WASSAN.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
(A) Accompaniment and Monitoring of Projects and Partnerships to Achieve Agreed Results (70%):
- Develop detailed annual project implementation plan together with partner organizations, monitor and enforce deadlines.
- Support partners in developing and implementing the strategy for farmer institution development, women’s empowerment and increasing area under ecological farming and NUS (including demonstration plots and farmer field schools).
- Coordinate with the partners and ensure that monitoring and data collection regarding participatory cultivar selection and biodiversity blocks is on track and research data is collected and uploaded on time.
- Undertake partner visits to provide handholding support to help partners achieve project outcomes.
- Identify training needs and support capacity building of partner organisations.
- Work closely with MEAL consultant to ensure that the data is available to measure project progress.
- Promote the partner organizations’ awareness of gender and of social inequalities and facilitate actions and instruments to address them within the project.
- Coordinate with FiBL and WASSAN for capacity building of partners and addressing issues arising during implementation.
- Draft six monthly and annual reports and review the finance reports.
- Inform/ consult with the Senior Programme Officer in the event of significant modifications in project content and budget or serious problems in a project.
- Any other task delegated/assigned by the SPO.
(C) Facilitate Linkages with Government Programmes (20%) :
- Build awareness among partners about different government programmes the project can engage with at the district level to achieve the project objectives.
- Support partners in developing strategies to enable the poor to benefit from government programmes.
- Foster and participate in networks on thematic priorities of CROPS4HD project.
- Document case studies/innovation/good practices for sharing with the government and internally within SWISSAID.
(D) Public Relation, Information Work and Fundraising (10%):
- Draft fund raising and communication materials on SWISSAID and its program in the country for information and fundraising work;
- Contribute to fundraising activities in concordance with the respective guidelines.
4. QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES:
- Applicants must be graduates with a post graduate degree in Social Sciences, or Economics, or Agriculture, or equivalent, from a reputed university.
- Minimum ten years’ experience of working in the development sector, in the field of Agriculture, Forestry or Sustainable Livelihoods, of which at least three years must be with a grassroots development organization.
- Proven track record of strengthening small farmers livelihoods through addressing production side challenges, marketing issues, gender mainstreaming and farmer institution building.
- Extensive experience of participatory extension methodologies such as setting up experimental learning plots, facilitating farmer field schools, collecting and analyzing farm level data and organizing participatory learning workshops to assess uptake of new technology.
- Practical experience of promoting ecological farming, farmers varieties and neglected crops is desirable.
Skills and Competencies:
- Strong project management skills and ability to negotiate and convince partners.
- Proven track record of accompaniment of grassroots development projects.
- Strong commitment towards addressing gender discrimination and the rights of marginalized persons.
- Good understanding of key challenges being faced by small farmers in India, as well as government policies and programmes to improve livelihoods.
- Ability to develop strong, positive relationship internally with team members and externally with Stakeholders, Funders, Social Networks and other organizations.
- Well-developed analytical, conceptual and writing skills.
- Experience of monitoring and evaluation.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Hindi.
- Willingness to travel extensively.
- Proficient in word, excel, PowerPoint and SPSS.
5. LOCATION: Pune, Maharashtra
6. APPOINTMENT: This is a full-time position and the initial contract will be offered for a period of three years.
7. APPLICATION PROCESS:
Eligible candidates interested in the position are requested to apply by 16th July 2021.
Women are especially encouraged to apply for this position. The applications should include a recent resume and letter stating their interest in this position. The application should be emailed to email@example.com